Make it With Mint
It would not be summer without fresh mint in pots on the front porch and in the backyard. Mint is so easy to grow, it has such a wonderful fresh scent, and it may be used for a number of things.
Here are some easy ways to utilize mint:
- Place a few fresh spearmint or peppermint sprigs in a teapot with your preferred tea. Let steep for 2-3 minutes and serve.
- Use sprigs of mint as a pretty garnish for a special dessert.
- For a casual arrangement for your dining room or kitchen table, fill an attractive ceramic or glass pitcher, vase, or other container with water. Add a few long sprigs of fresh mint (being sure to strip off any mint leaves which would be covered by the water). The mint will add colour to the space, scent the air, and also help keep pesky ants away.
- Pot your favourite mint in a container in your front porch to supply a welcoming fresh aroma to anyone who comes to see.
- Add chopped mint leaves to scrambled eggs, omelettes, quiches, or souffles.
- Mix mint along with your routine tabbouleh recipe for a refreshing summer salad.
- Add mint to cooked peas, carrots, or potatoes at the end of the cooking process, then discard the mint leaves before serving the veggies.
- Create frozen mint cubes to use in many of your favourite foods and beverages. Finely chop some mint sprigs, then stuff them into ice cube trays, and fill each part of the tray with water. - Freeze. Once frozen, empty the trays into freezer bags. Use the mint cubes for iced tea or other drinks, or place a few cubes into your favorite casserole or stew.
Recall... next time you are considering creating a unique dish, or an attractive arrangement for the table, make it with mint.